Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Starship Troopers Arachnid



A model of the famous arachnid warrior from the famously brilliant/crap film Starship Troopers by Paul Verhoeven. I built this to illustrate a talk that I gave on metanurbs modelling. Modelling, texturing and rendering done in LightWave 5.5. Texture maps painted in Photoshop 5.0 (I think...it was a long time ago)



Another view...Interestingly, this was done entirely using Planar Texture mapping – LightWave didn't support UV mapping at the time. The eagle-eyed amongst you will no doubt see the joins. I always promised myself that I'd re-visit this one day and do it properly...but no.


And here's an animation to give you a view of the whole model:





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Tim Danaher,

My name is Varga Zoltán from Hungary, and I am a physical model maker. I recently searching some useful picture for my new model which is an arachnid warrior from the movie Starship Troopers. Across the surfing on the web, I found your amazing web page with pictures of a beautifully designed 3D Arachnid warrior bug.

Unfortunately It has only two pictures. My question, is it possible to get some other pictures from you, what I can use to build my own physical model? I appreciate your work which is incredible beautiful and I want to use your 3D Arachnid model as a base to design my own.

If it's not a big question, please send some pictures, so I can do my work as best as I can. :)

Thank you for your kind help, and sorry for my bad English, but it's not my native.

Best regards,

Varga Zoltán from Hungary

email.: vorennaal@freemail.hu

4:22 pm  
Blogger Tim Danaher said...

Zoltán --

Eppen most küldtem email-et neked.

5:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home